Click here to go to an interactive map of the Ovens Mouth East Trail (requires a Google account and ensure no other map overlays such as Traffic are turned on)
or click here for a downloadable pamphlet (including map)
or see the map at the bottom of this page.
Directions for Ovens Mouth East:
From the monument at Boothbay Center, travel north on Route 27 for 1.6 miles. Take a left onto Adams Pond Road. Proceed .1 miles. Turn right onto Dover Road. Continue 2.4 miles to the dead end. Parking is on the left.
Directions for Ovens Mouth West:
See directions to Ovens Mouth East (above) but go only 1.9 miles on Dover Road and bear left onto Dover Cross Road. The parking lot is 0.2 mile on the right.
About Ovens Mouth Preserve
In 1994 the Boothbay Region Land Trust purchased 146 acres on Ovens Mouth, including both the eastern and middle peninsulas. The Ovens Mouth, bordered on the north by Edgecomb and on the south by Boothbay, is a narrow passage leading from the Sheepscot and Back Rivers to an extensive tidal basin.Early English explorers are thought to have seen a resemblance to an oven, hence the name. This area has always been inviting for maritime activities because of its deep-water access and protected location. Settled in the mid -1700’s, one of the region’s earliest shipyards was located here and both British and American vessels hid in the coves during the Revolution. Soon after the Civil War the property came into the hands of the Tibbetts-Welsh family who owned it for more than a hundred years.
The peninsulas are heavily wooded, but this was not always so. The middle peninsula was cleared for sheep pasture early in the 19th century and was let go back to woodland by about 1850. It was cut for lumber during both of the World Wars. The top half of the east peninsula was field, while the lower half was pasture; it too grew up into woods after the 1930’s. A fine stand of pine blankets the peninsulas today. The BRLT plans to continue to manage the forest for recreational use, aesthetics, improvement of wildlife habitat, and timber production.
There are two coves on the Boothbay side of Ovens Mouth with the western one known locally as “Ice House Cove”. In 1880 in response to a growing demand for ice, it was dammed to form a fresh-water pond and an ice-house was built. The ice was shipped by schooner, mainly to Boston and New York. The remnants of the dam can be seen at low tide from the bridge which connects two peninsulas. A magnificent salt marsh has replaced the ice pond.
Both peninsulas are home to a variety of wildlife, including eagles, osprey, otters and deer Extensive trails and a handsome wooden bridge connecting the two peninsulas allow for a variety of hikes.