Click here to go to an interactive map of Lobster Cove Meadow Preserve (requires a Google account and ensure no other map overlays such as Traffic are turned on)
or click here for a downloadable pamphlet (including map)
or jump to the map at the bottom of this page.
Directions to Lobster Cove Meadow Preserve:
From the junction of Routes 27 and 96 in Boothbay Harbor, at the traffic light, take 96 and proceed about 0.3 mile to Eastern Avenue. Turn right on Eastern Avenue and in less than 0.1 mile you will see parking and a BRLT kiosk on your left. From the parking area follow the trail signs to the BRLT property. Please stay on the trail and respect the privacy of the abutting home owners.
About Lobster Cove Meadow Preserve
Lobster Cove Meadow preserve is comprised of 46.8 acres of wetlands, fields, and forested uplands. Exceedingly rich in wildlife, with over 140 species of migratory and nesting birds having been sighted, it is also inhabited by a variety of other creatures. Wildflowers adorn the meadow from spring to fall, attracting multitudes of butterflies.
The property was the site of extensive sand and gravel pits from colonial times, and also was actively farmed well into the 20th century. Farm animals once grazed the meadows, which were also cut for hay.
In 1880 the stream traversing the wetlands was dammed, creating a large lake that was used for a thriving business harvesting, storing and selling ice. The ice was cut, held in big sheds, probably insulated with sawdust to hold it even through the summer, and sent down wooden runs to the head of Lobster Cove for shipment on schooners. The ice works closed in 1907 and although the dam gradually deteriorated, a population of beaver managed to keep the water level up. In 2007, BRLT repaired the dam to stabilize the water level and secure this critical part of Lobster Cove Meadow’s outstanding wildlife habitat.
The property was purchased by BRLT in 2002, protecting its valuable ecosystem, its fields, woodland, and traditional trails. Several of the trails lend themselves to cross country skiing, as well as hiking, bird watching, and botanical surveys; ATVs are permitted on one, which is clearly marked, and the meadow is the site of picnics and school outings. Near the entrance to the preserve there stands a granite monument inscribed “For the children”, expressing the wish of one of the major donors who made the purchase possible, to keep the property to open for all to enjoy, most especially the younger generation.